Monday, October 10

The rickety bucket we’re riding in

It’s been awhile since I last boarded a public bus. Especially the regular ones, not the PATAS AC. Those metro minis and KOPAJAs are really something. If you need a daily dose of adventure, just board one. Guaranteed, you will get not just physical enlightment, but spiritial as well.

Take the trip I took last week. Only one seat remaining which I immediately took. Definitely not the best one, as this was the one in front, in the area beside the driver. It enabled me to see a lot, though.

It came to me how rickety the bus was. The floor under the driver’s feet had a hole in it. I can see the street from there. The driver’s seat has no safety features whatsoever, a buckle would be an alien aparatus. Not one indicator is alive, not of the oil, the speed, the rpm, nothing. All what’s left were knobs of whatever… at least the driver was familiar with them. The door was tied with hard rubber string.

And let’s not talk about the passangers’ seats, haphazardly bolted to the bus floor, some already loose. Or the windows that reverberate along with the engine, creating a high decible cacophony. Tampered glass? Ck.. ck.. ck…, no chance.

With the demon speed these drivers are carrying the passengers, I cannot help but feel close to God. Everytime the bus picked up speed, I send a prayer to The Almighty. God… don’t let me die. Not because I’am afraid to die, but because of those I’d leave behind. Please let me be save, please let me arrive home to those I love and those who need me. Dear God…

Happy riding, dear readers.

No comments: