Friday, February 4

Sex education

I just read article in Jakarta Post regarding sex education (Sex Education, Religious and Cultural Values - by A. Amirrachman).

It's a tricky subject, sex is. Know not enough, curiosity could lead into misinformation. Know enough, the knowledge may lead to "free" behavior.

My opinion is: Let them know. What they do about the knowledge is part of their learning to be responsible adult. Regarding morality, every body's opinion differs on this. It's truly personal, I guess. Just like religion. What's important is that whatever action they decide to take, they take it with full understanding of what's happening and what could happen.

My sex education started at home. Raised with 3 older brothers, I occasionally bumped into "accidental" knowledge. And my mom, bless her readings, bombarded me with books on the subject. Not misleading books, mind you, but books written by the right authority on the subjects (psychologist, sociologist, and the likes).

I know my body before I reached 12. I know the desire, the pleasure, even before that. While other girls were timid about their budding breasts and their first mini-set, I wasn't (though I hated being a girl at that time).

Our sexuality is a part of our being. It must not be denied or burried. It is to be embraced, loved, and understood.

No comments: