Thursday, January 27

Burger

I ate burger for lunch yesterday. Just got that craving. It’s been a long friendship, me and burger.

It started at home. My mother, who, when cooking, liked to cook Western food more than Asian food (too complicated and messy), put burger, hotdog, chilly con carne, French fries, spaghetti, cream soup, macaroni schootel and even tacos as our daily menu. Bread was our daily breakfast (it is till now). When my father was away, of course. When he was home, we had those traditional sayur asem komplit, rawon komplit, gado2 or pecel komplit, nasi goring for breakfast. He had enough of Western food being an international flight pilot.

Biting into nice home-made burger brings back some of the memory of childhood. And also Bali. How come Bali? ‘Cause when we were there, we always ordered burger, either with cheese or not. And vanilla ice cream for me (mostly chocolate for my bros). Orders signed by my brothers. A surprise bill awaited my mother afterwards. You know how kids were: always hungry, especially after a good swim.

I am yet to taste a real nice ‘home made’ burger again. The one in THAT fast-food chain has the mass-production taste on it. Feels like the beef has been thawed a year ago, and the veggie chopped two months ago. Stale. Waste of money (better have a nice bowl of bakso instead). The one in Wendy’s is better. Though the beef is slim, the veggie at least is fresh. And nice plump bun, not one that seems like it has been run over by a truck.

My next craving is: Tempura Udon. Stay tuned!

No comments: