Thursday, January 20

Surprise in a bite

I ran our of mayonaise for my egg sandwich this morning. Among the choices I had were thousand islands dressing, blue cheese dressing, american mustard, dijon mustard, and the ever classic tomato sauce. I thought thousand islands would taste funny with egg, so would blue cheese. And I'm a bit weary of tomato sauce. American mustard is best with hotdog, not egg. So I opted for Dijon mustard. A mistake.

I just taken a bite of that sandwich and something bit me back. That was the kick of the mustard. Okay, I've heard of some type of mustard that kicks you, but I was not aware it would be this one. Luckily, I have a sachet of tomato sauce stashed in my desk.

Some food really bite you back. One is the killer peanut my friend brought from her trip from Bangkok. Thanks to that undeciphered thai writings and its lost warning, we all got almost murdered when taking that bite of peanuts. It was wasabi-coated peanut. The wasabi. Ever heard of it? That's a Japanese equivalent of Jalapeno, perhaps. That peanut EXPLODES in your mouth. It gives you a sharp numbing sensation followed by a tingy surge into your nose. A trully wake-up call, unbeatable. Shocking therapy indeed.

Another is that innocent looking dried red szechuan chilli. Tempting. It, too, explodes. Find some in the yummy dish of chicken and 'mede' nut. Peppered with the chilli. A mistake to munch one, better leave if as adornment or simply seasoning.

As for the Jalapeno, I am yet to meet one.

Happy eating, friends.

No comments: