Thursday, October 28

La Luna

It’s going to be full moon tonight. The moon at its most majestic moment: round, shining, a bit arrogant.

When I was a kid, my mom used to take me out every time there’s a full moon and we both would looked up to it. Then she would tell me to follow her do this thing: place both palms on the cheeks, look at the bright shining moon, and say this mantra: “Oh beautiful full moon, give thy beauty to us so we may become as beautiful as you”.

Whether history has it say or not, I am a moon gazer. Whenever I’ve got the chance to go out at night, I’d look for the moon. And stare at it. There are no words enough to describe the awe of a full moon surrounded by a heavenly hallo.

Once, there was a blackout in the housing compound I live. Instead of total darkness, we had this soft bluish light coming from it. The world seemed to be bathed in this light, nicely and warmly. I looked at the light creating shadows of leaves and trees, I looked at the light on the street, and I looked at the light on my palm. For some moments that night, everything was peaceful. And there, on her throne in the cloudless sky, is the moon. Full, bright, shining, smiling.

La Luna. I hope to see you again tonight.

No comments: